getty problems again

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.mbx.sub.org
Wed Jul 18 00:31:26 AEST 1990

max at maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) writes:

>I finally got around to installing the FAS driver and when I tried to use
>getty I got the same problems I posted 6 months ago:  modem answers but no
>login prompt.  I have been successfully dialing out of this same port with
>the original driver and the FAS driver.  In fact, I am posting this from a
>successful dialout.  I am using a Compaq 386/25 running ISC 386/ix 2.0.2
>and the FAS driver with a Telebit Trailblazer Plus modem.

Unfortunately you didn't tell us which release of FAS you use. I'll
assume that it is 2.06 (the latest one).

>From your dialers file I'd suspect that you have result codes enabled
even if getty is on the port. Try to set your EEPROM parameters to disable
result codes by default (`ATQ1'). But then you have to enable it wherever
you need it (`ATQ0'), in your dialers file for instance. The problem here
is that the modem result string may confuse getty.

Did you check the gettydefs file? Maybe the port isn't set up with the
proper flags.

Please tell us when you got it working.

     Uwe

PS: Max, you obviously mixed up the `Followup-To:' with the `Reply-To:'
header line. Please use the latter for your e-mail address. My first
attempt to post a followup to your article ended in `dead.article'. :-(
Uwe Doering   |  Domain   : gemini at geminix.mbx.sub.org
West Germany  |  Bangpath : ...!uunet!pyramid!tub!tmpmbx!geminix!gemini