Anybody using Informix products for AT&T 3.2 on other unices?

Colonel Panic aland at infmx.UUCP
Sun Jul 29 17:34:21 AEST 1990

Disclaimer: this article is solely my opinion.  The official party
line is that any given Informix port is supported only on those
O/S's (and versions of O/S's) that it is documented to run on --
this typically means that it has  been compatibility tested via
full port-level QA.

anyway...

At present, we do separate ports for each supported 386 UNIX
environment (DON'T ask me why or flame me on this -- I'm trying to turn
it around myself).  Typically, this means the "latest" AT&T Sys V/386
at porting time, and the "latest" SCO UNIX and XENIX versions.
Interactive ports tend to follow later, and only then for the reason
of supporting specific hardware (e.g. Data General's Dasher series runs
a resold version of Interactive, so you can find a true Interactive
port listed under DG).

My question: is anybody using the AT&T ports on other flavors of
"true" System V 3.X  (e.g. Interactive 2.0.[01], 2.0.2, 2.2; ESIX;
Bell Tech, etc.)?  If so, with what level of success?

Though I heartily disrecommend running the SCO UNIX ports on other
flavors of UNIX, it seems to me that the AT&T ports would work on
the other flavors.  We don't mess with device drivers; as long as the
other flavor can handle installpkg(1) (since our AT&T ports are
formatted that way), I would *think* it would work.  Unfortunately,
I don't have ISC or ESIX versions to test on.

Especially with the 4.0 ports for the 6386 series now complete
(ISQL, I4GL, ESQL/C, C-ISAM, SE, and OnLine are complete; network
stuff is still in progress), any compatibility feedback would be
valued.  If any of you have firsthand experience, please let
me know via email.  Thanks in advance.

--
Alan Denney # Informix # aland at informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "The driver says, 'One more cup of coffee and I'll be all right...'
  'Pop a Bennie, another Bennie'..."             - The Bobs, "Bus Plunge"