< 3 SCSI Drives on ISC 2.02 (problem) >

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Thu Jul 26 01:03:40 AEST 1990

In article <3491 at tmiuv0.uucp> rick at tmiuv0.uucp writes:
?In article <675 at unlisys.UUCP>, rot at unlisys.UUCP (Robert Rothe) writes:
?> ...
?> WREN V (runner) as drive 00
?> Quantum P-105 S as drive 01
?> WREN V (runner) as drive 02
?
?Whoa!  Be careful here!  Check your power supply.  Three hard disks are NOT
?a good thing on a single power supply.  I had a 230W supply and two ST-506
?type drives.  When I added the Seagate SCSI drive, I smoked the supply.  It's
?possible that your supplies are crowbarring.

There is a potential problem indeed, but what's most important is how
power hungry the drives are. I don't know about the Quantum but the
Wren V only needs about 15 Watts (average), while a Seagate 4096 or similar
drive needs almost twice as much. The Wren V (mine is a 383H, esdi, not scsi)
is an excellent choice if power is a problem.

Paul.