"PANIC: kernel mode trap. Type 0x0000000E" msg in 386/ix 2.0.2 ?????

Doug Ingraham dpi at loft386.uucp
Fri Jul 20 15:31:54 AEST 1990

In article <63 at maxx.UUCP>, tyager at maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) writes:
> In article <9480 at bunny.GTE.COM>, jdg0 at GTE.COM (Jose Diaz-Gonzalez) writes:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > My machine has been crashing about twice daily for the last week or so.
> > ...Now, I've run my diagnostics (I'm using an AT&T 6386E/33) and
> > everything appears to be OK.  Does anyone have any idea of what a type

Nobody has diagnostics that are any good.  In our case Unix uses lots
more of the hardware than any Diagnostic.  Diagnostics only seem to be
able to find really broken hardware.

> > 0x0000000E error means?  This might help me to narrow down the
> > alternatives.   Any pointers will be appreciated.  Thanks,

This is a kernel panic because a parity error occured while executing in
the kernel.

> I just went through a round of problems revolving around this error message.
> I wish I could tell you what the problem is, but neither the vendor nor I
> were able to put our fingers on it. The only thing I can tell you about my
> own experience with this error is that it seems to flag a fundamental
> problem with the way the system talks to memory. The system in question had
> 16MB of memory, 8 of which was on a 32-bit expansion card. With the card
> installed, the system would panic. Sometimes immediately, sometimes after
> running OK for hours. With the extra memory removed, it would hum along and
> run forever.

Unix kernel lives up at the top of memory.  You could probably have moved
simm's or dips around until you found the problem if it was an oddending
component.  It might also be a slow bus tranceiver on the motherboard or
memory card.

Find vendors you can work with unless you are very hardware and software
savy.  You will save time, money and graying of the hair.

--
Doug Ingraham (SysAdmin)
Lofty Pursuits (Public Access for Rapid City SD USA)