Installing UNIX V/386 3.2 on a MAXTOR 2190

Jeff Miller jcmiller at hydra.unm.edu
Thu Jul 5 06:06:19 AEST 1990

I am attempting to install AT&T UNIX System V/386 release 3.2 on
a MAXTOR 2190 159 mg hard drive. I am using Cache Computer's
386-25 with AMI bios. I tried installing UNIX with a 120 mg
partition and DOS 4.01 with a 40mg partition. The MAXTOR 2190
has 1224 cyl, 15h, 17sec. I used Disk manager 4.02 to set up
the partitions as follows: unix: 0 to 899 cyl, dos 900 to 1023, and
dos 1024 to 1223 cyl.

When UNIX attempted to install it read the partition as follows:
0 to 899 unix
900 to 1023 dos
0 to 189 other

When UNIX installed it simply over wrote my second DOS partion after
1024 cyl. I attempted to change the partiton under UNIX with no change.
The only way I could install UNIX and DOS partitions was to stay under
1024 cyl.

Has anyone been able to install a drive with greater then 1024 cyl?
If so how?

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Jeff.