A Cheap UNIX clone ?

Tom Yager tyager at maxx.UUCP
Thu Jul 12 10:18:38 AEST 1990

In article <4241 at peora.ccur.com>, tran at peora.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) writes:
>   If I don't program,  if I am probably the only user, if I don't run any
> major program,  the only thing I use it for is to send/receive mail (a mailing
> list server), would this system [Coherent from Mark Williams] be ok?
>
> Nhan Tran

It should work just fine. The only problems I can see are two: 1) You'll
have to dedicate a system to it, and 2) It won't be useful for other
applications unless you're willing to compile them yourself.

There are pacakges for MS-DOS (RamNet comes to mind) that deliver UUCP,
mail and news capability to DOS. If those things are all you're after,
Coherent might be overkill. If you have even a single reason to want
to run UNIX specifically, either Coherent or Xenix-286 should serve you
well.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
(ty)

--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE----Reviewer, UNIX World---------------+
|  NET: decvax!maxx!tyager     -or-     uunet!bytepb!maxx!tyager           |