i386 unix with NFS - getcwd() & /bin/pwd inode problem

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Wed Jul 11 08:25:27 AEST 1990

In article <3632 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>I expect thatsome type of fix will be made in a future release of our
>>(ISC) version once we have one which will let the binary work on other
>>systems that don't have the fix.
>
>S5R4 has "ino_t" as a long (or at least that was what I last heard -
>given that the BSD file system is one of the on-disk file systems S5R4
>supports, they had to do that), with "stat()" getting a new trap number
>and the old trap number giving you the old structure for binary
>compatibility (just what Berkeley did in 4.2BSD, in other words).  They
>also added some other Berkeley fields to the "stat" structure.

I think the original poster was refering to the problem that if ISC fixed
thier system to have a bigger ino_t, then binaries generated on ISC wouldn't
work on SCO or ESIX, etc.  The "add a new system call, and save the old
one for binary compatiblity" only works in a "forward compatibility motion",
not a horizontal or backward motion.
no

                                                Sterling, VA 22170