CPIO with remote device support

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Jul 28 07:00:25 AEST 1990

In article <644 at mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM> root at mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
>Hello,
>
>Does anyone know if there is a PD version of cpio (like afio) that
>supports remote devices over ethernet like the new GNU Tar does
>(ie, remotename:/dev/erct0).  SCO Unix's cpio has a -O option that
>supports output direct to a device instead of to stdout.

Funny you should mention afio, since it does exactly what you want
if you have rsh.  If your rsh happens to be named something else
you will change the sprintf() that constructs the command (line 584
in the copy I've got).  It also requires a copy of afio on the
remote machine, where the undocumented -O or -I options are used
to copy raw data to/from the device.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us