An effort, but worth to do! [Re: gas on ISC 386/ix]

Francois Pinard pinard at IRO.UMontreal.CA
Thu Jul 5 04:26:19 AEST 1990

In article <551 at csource.oz.au> david at csource.oz.au (david nugent) writes:

   Has anyone managed to get GNU's assembler running under Interactive
   386/ix yet?

As you probably know already, this assembler is producing BSD
compatible output, which is not the COFF format in use with System V
systems.  You should install GNU binutils too, among which there is a
`ld' replacement, and convert your libraries.  You probably also want
the GNU C compiler and would appreciate to have the GNU debugger
(GDB).  You loose shared libraries (I do not have the feeling of
loosing very much).  You gain a nice set of development tools, and you
modestly participate in spreading the Free Software spirit around.

I know this sounds like a lot of work to install; in any case, it was
not trivial for me.  However, I did it and now, I would not go back.
I'm quite glad to use all the GNU tools: all the sources are provided
and there is a tremendous support from the community, at least if I
compare with the supplier (ISC)'s support.

Franc,ois Pinard          ``Vivement GNU!''         pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
(514) 588-4656    cp 886 L'Epiphanie (Qc) J0K 1J0    ...!uunet!iros1!pinard