Interesting ISC Support Policy

SSG W.D. Calhoun postmaster root at usaos.UUCP
Tue Jul 10 05:55:47 AEST 1990

In this thread, I have seen mostly unfavorable experiences related.  The one
I am about to relate does not bear on Tech Support, but does pertain to the
support of 'small-time' users in general.

I was informed be an employee (as a result of a posting I made in another
newsgroup) that there was a free fix disk for sendmail in 386/ix 2.0.2.
Although I have never dealt with ISC directly, I had been following the
thread here regarding their support and was dreading the thought of calling
them.  To make a long story short, I called the first 800 number I saw on
the Authorized Distributors list (the Distribution Division in Hollis, NH)
and after aboout a 10 second wait, was connected with the representative
for my area (VA).  She was polite, sounded experienced, and VERY helpful.
She told me that she would have the X7 fix shipped to me and also provided
me with a decent price quote on the 2.2 upgrade (200.00 for the Application
Starter upgrade).  Although I suppose it is possible that she worked from
notes or references, she seemed to know the details off the top of her head.
We even spent a minute talking about her son.  All-in-all, a very pleasant
exchange.  If the fix disk gets here in a reasonable time, and the upgrade
price works out to be correct, I'll be suitably impressed.

She knew 'up-front' that I was making the inquiry as a private party, not
as a corporation.  She didn't even ask about how long I had owned the
package or for proof of ownership.  If I received this kind of response
every time I dealt with a vendor, I'd be a happy guy.

I know that this one experience will not change the way some people think
about ISC, but it goes a long way toward keeping me as a customer.
---
W.D. Calhoun
The U.S. Army Ordnance School at Fort Belvoir, VA
calhoun at usaos.UUCP | uunet!usaos!calhoun