troff & nroff

hank barta hb at vpnet.chi.il.us
Wed Jul 11 15:55:05 AEST 1990

> I have been collecting a number of programs off the net that come with
> documentation in troff/nroff format.  I have decided that it would be
> worthwhile
> to get these programs rather then trying to read them in that format.  What
> would be the best source to get these?  I would want troff to be able to print
> to a HP LaserJet III.  Since I have SCO Unix I looked at a price list I had
> and could only find these programs for Xenix... I assume these would work?
> Do they support the LJ III?  I have requested information from SCO but have
> yet
> to see any of it arive.

I am running the Xenix text processing system under SCO Unix. To the best
of my knowledge, it would not be capable of taking advantage of an LJ III.
I use it for 'light' text processing output to a Silver Reed 400 (Diablo
compatible) daisy wheel printer, which seems to be adequately supported.
It also formats man pages, although unless one modifies the man macro
package, it identifies them as Xenix man pages. The executables are 8086
binaries (nroff and troff anyway) so I would expect that they might have
problems with memory intensive jobs. (I once tried to process the umoria
manual and got a fatal 'out of memory' error after several pages.)

For my needs (and the price) Xenix text processing is adequate.

I would be particularly interested in hearing about what is avialable
(PD in particular) that supports the LJ II and III printers.

hank

White Oak Software Inc.                 Henry Barta
0 South 258 Park                        (708) 462-6909 (voice)
Winfield, IL 60190                      ...!vpnet.chi.il.us!pswin!barta
Predictable systems by design.          hb at vpnet.chi.il.us