Unix / Dos partition problem in ISC 2.0.2

Dave Lee dave at dptechno.uucp
Wed Jul 11 02:05:35 AEST 1990

Help! I'm having problems getting a unix and dos partition to coexist on
my second hard drive.  I setup my second drive with sysadm/addharddisk.
I partitioned as follows:
	Drive 68M RLL  -- fdisk info
Partition	type	start	end	length
1		unix	1	530	530
2		dos	531	1022	492

Mounted a /users file system on the 1st partition, coppied some files,
and unmounted /users. Booted 4.0 dos stand alone and formated the dos partition.
Rebooted unix, ran vpix with the following line in vpix.cnf

D	/dev/dsk/1p0

Coppied a full dos file system (30M) of files to the D: drive with vpix.
Exited vpix and tried to mount /users.  It wouldnt mount.  Fsck fails.

mkpart -t v disk01 says :

	Warning - invalid pdinfo block found -- initializing.

mkpart -t p disk01 reports no partitions.

Remade the partition info and remade the file system for /users, coppied
some data to /users, and zap goes D:, directory structure thrashed.

Whats going on here?   Is this just vpix?  The FM says that the "D /dev/dsk/.."
type of disk access is not the prefered method,  Is that because it
overwrites the unix vtoc table ?

My first drive has a dos partiton and works fine (so far). However,
it is the first partition.  Do DOS partitions have to be first ?
Also, the DOS partition on the first drive (installed automatically
by the install process), was created starting at sector 0, not 1.
The Fine Manual says you should skip sector 0, yet it works fine -- so far ;-)

I've RTFM'd 'till the cows came home, but am still stuck.
Thanks.
Please Email, or post if you really want to.

--
Dave Lee
uunet!dptechno!dave