Yet more questions/problems with Interactive UNIX

Gary Coffman gary at ke4zv.UUCP
Thu Jul 26 20:25:49 AEST 1990

In article <821 at digi.lonestar.org> kcantrel at digi.lonestar.org (Keith Cantrell) writes:

>  Make: Gateway 2000
>  Processor: Intel 80386 with 64k cache. NO floating point co-processor.
>  Mother board: Micronics 386 ASIC cache
>  Processor speed: 25Mhz
>  Main Memory: 4 Meg.
>  Disk: 110Meg ESDI
>  Disk controller: Ultrastor ultra 12(F)
>  Monitor: 1024x780 VGA Tatung model CM-1498X
>  Video controller: OEM-VGA-300190  (says VGA-WONDER on the card)
>  Serial controller: DIO-500 Multi-I/O card
>
>More questions for you Interactive Unix Guru's out there:
>
>  1) I have been totally unsuccessful so far being able to use my second
>     serial port.  I check on the card, and it is configured as COM2 but
>     when I try to start a getty on it, all I get back is:
>
>getty: cannot open "/dev/tty01" errno: 6
>
>     When I looked up error number 6, it says:
>
>No such device or address
>
>     Does anybody know what would cause this?  I even booted DOS and
>     'echo'ed a string out COM2: and it did show up on the terminal that I
>     have connected to it, so the hardware seems to be working.  I have
>     RTFM but I can't see when you tell a device driver what comm port to
>     use.  I am sure I am just missing something, if someone would PLEASE
>     just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

This is a "frequently asked question". Interactive ships with only one
async port enabled in the kernel. You must edit the file
/etc/conf/sdevice.d/asy, just change the 'N' to a 'Y' for the second
serial port. Then edit the file /etc/conf/cf.d/mdevice to indicate
at least two asy ports. Then rebuild the kernel with kconfig and when
you reboot you'll have use of the second asy port.

>  2) In my system I have 4 meg of memory, but when I boot up I get the
>     following message:  (The numbers are correct, I am not exactly sure
>     what the verbiage said)
>
>Real memory 3801088
>Available memory 3031040
>
>     Is it really not seeing all of the 4 meg?  Am I correct in assuming
>     that the reason why all the memory is not "Available" is that the
>     kernel is taking a 770048 bytes?

Another "frequently asked question", the memory area from 640k to 1024k
is mapped out due to the PC architecture and the kernel takes over half
a megabyte for itself. These two factors explain the missing ram. If
you do a kconfig, you should eliminate all unused installed drivers
and tune the kernel parameters for your memory size. This will get back
some of your ram.

>  3) Is there tty driver that knows not to allow you to backspace past the
>     prompt.  Needless to say this is not real important, but it is real
>     annoying.

Sorry, I have no answer for this.

Gary