VGA under vpix 1.2 RE: the video bios

Paul de Bra wsinpdb at lso.win.tue.nl
Fri Jul 13 21:00:49 AEST 1990

In article <387 at beagle.UUCP> chandler at beagle.UUCP (Jim Chandler) writes:
>I am running vpix 1.2.0 with no problems under ESIX Rev C.  I have a Dell 310
>with 8 Megs and an ATI VGAWonder with 512K.  I would like to use the extended
>modes of the ATI card but the 'fake' BIOS of vpix wont allow me to access them.
>Can I get around the vpix bios to use the extended modes?  Ideas from the
>net would be greatly appreciated.  I will summerize the answers here.

The trick for Simultask (also vpix but for AT&T unix) is to uncomment the
lines with EGAROM and VGAROM in the vpix.cnf file (in /usr/vpix/defaults).

Vpix will then use the real VGA-bios routines on the card.

This does work when using a Paradise VGA+16 (without kernel patch)
in 800x600 mode with fractint for instance. Won't work with EGAROM and
VGAROM in the vpix.cnf file, and works fine with the lines commented out.

Paul.
(debra at research.att.com)