gnu emacs, epoch on iAPX 386

carroll at m.cs.uiuc.edu carroll at m.cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 10 01:26:00 AEST 1990

/* Written  5:53 pm  Jul  8, 1990 by dquah at athena.mit.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */
/* ---------- "gnu emacs, epoch on iAPX 386" ---------- */
Piece by piece I've also put in /usr/local the emacs and epoch executables.
Upon invocation, however, emacs crashes and burns with

Fatal error (12).Bad system call.

[In case it matters I have SDS, Kernel Configuration, Core Base,
File Management, Spell Utilities installed.]
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */
Sad to say, but Epoch won't run except under X-Windows, which you don't have
installed, so I suspect that Epoch (at least) is crashing because it is
doing some system call for X-windows, and failing. It's also possible that the
Emacs binary you have was compiled with X-windows support, and is failing
for the same reason.