TCP/IP slowdown and window field of packet

tom hampton tom at litle.litle.com
Fri Jul 6 04:10:57 AEST 1990

We are having a slow-down problem between two TCP/IP programs.

Both programs do fine for a while, transferring some 50,000 bytes/sec,
until all of a sudden, they appear to hang and transfer no more than
1/100th of that.  According to a crude packet monitor we have, the
problem seems to occur when the window field of the packet gets set
down (we don't know by whom) to 0.

1) Has anyone had this problem before?  We fear it might have something
   to do with an interacticion between Stratus (VOS) TCP/IP and ISC
   2.2 Unix for the 386.

2) Are we right in thinking that it has something to do with the
   window field?

3) Any suggestions on how might complete our diagnosis, or, better yet
   treat the situation?

Thanks for your replies.

 Tom Hampton, Mgr. New Technology, Litle & Co. | POB A218, Hanover, NH 03755
 603 643 1832