swap on disk1

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Wed Jul 11 08:19:55 AEST 1990

In article <1200 at s6.Morgan.COM> amull at Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
>In article <1990Jul08.224741.1366 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>
>> Hmm,  looks like a real RTFM type of question.  Let's see.  I think
>> we'll start at the permuted index...  Lets look up the word "swap"...  Hey,
>> look at that - there's a swap(1M) command.  Lets see what it says...
>
>You can start in the Bermuda index, but that takes a strong stomach;
>a lot of people get lost in those and are never heard from again.

I don't think there is a better answer than a permuted index.  Maybe you
are really complaining about the one-line descriptions that are used to
make up the index.  Having a permuted index makes it real easy to look up
what you are interested about.  The case in point, someone had a question
about "swap" space.  By simply looking up the term swap in the index they
would have found what they needed.

>One of the strongest points in favor of the SCO version of UNIX is
>that they refrained from using psychological warfare and camouflage
>techniques when indexing their manuals. (Perhaps a UNIX first?)

I don't know what they did to index the manuals, but I don't think
it would be that much better.

>Has anyone ever made a utility which converts Bermuda indices into
>human readable form?

You could try the TOC that normally precedes the permuted index if you
can't figure out how to use the permuted index.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170