ESIX neophyte has questions

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk
Wed Jul 4 20:30:12 AEST 1990

In article <39864 at mips.mips.COM> wilkes at mips.COM (John Wilkes) writes:

   1. I got emacs to make after contacting ESIX tech support for some patches
   required for (I believe) shared libraries.  However, it is built with
   "CANNOT_DUMP" defined, and so must load up a bunch of elisp each time it
   starts up.  Can anyone provide me with an unexec() for ESIX?

You should be using the standard COFF unexec. It should work...

   2. Gcc compiles with /bin/cc, but fails to compile itself, apparently
   looping when attempting to compile c-parse.tab.c.  The stock cc compiles
   this particular file pretty quickly, and I let gcc munch on it for over
   eight hours.  Has anybody gotten gcc to compile itself?

You must have at least 4 megabytes of memory to run gcc with the
optimizer on. Gcc grows to several megs, and has very poor locality, and
gets paged. Worse, it gets swapped mercilessly because of a mistake in
the ESIX swapper algorithm.

Most importantly it is *vital* that you do not use the alloca() emulation
written in C. Use the alloca() in -lPW, and do stage1 using cc with
'-O -W2,-y0'. The C alloca() emulation uses up an immense amount of
memory.
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK | INET: pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk