150 Mb Archive Viper can't write 60 Mb tapes???

Georg Nikodym gsn at sclcig.uucp
Thu Jul 5 15:19:16 AEST 1990

In article <212 at twg.UUCP> bill at twg.UUCP (Bill Irwin) writes:
>The sould of this when I heard it was so absurd I just had to ask the net
>right  away.   We are just installing an Archive Viper 150Mb  tape  drive
>into  an i386 running SCO UNIX (current release).  One of the technicians
>said  that  it could read 60Mb tapes produced on a 60Mb streamer, but  it
>couldn't produce tapes that could be read by the 60Mb.

This is true, the 150MB tape drive can read but CANNOT write 60MB tapes.
I'm not sure, but I understand that this has to do with the (electo-)mech-
anics of the head.
--
| Georg S. Nikodym  -  (416) 442-2238                                       |
| Southam Business Information and Communications Group, Don Mills, Ontario |