Another problem (and not yet bought up) with serialization

Ken Weaverling weave at sun.udel.edu
Fri Jul 20 14:27:56 AEST 1990

Along with the hassles of managing software that is serialized is all of
the extra traffic on the network these things cause while they look for
copies of each other.

We run PC-Interface by Locus on two UNIX servers. This software allows
UNIX V/386 box to act as a file server to DOS computers. You need to
buy the host (server) software plus a client package for each PC.

The client PC version is serialized. We have 60 copies of this on 60 PCs
sharing two file servers. If a client notices another client on the net
with the same serial number, it locks up the DOS computer, puts a "copy
protection violation" message on the screen and then halts the computer
so even CTRL-ALT-DELETE won't reset it.

My beefs:

1) I've watched this using a lan analyzer. Each PC client sends a broadcast
   across the net EVERY 10 SECONDS looking for duplicates. Now, get 60 of
   these stations going and my Ethernet is kept chattering constantly for
   no reason at all. Why can't it just broadcast a message when a user
   first logs in, or something saner like every few minutes....

2) The software could help me somewhat. Don't assume I am a crook if two
   identical copies are on the net. If you gotta halt the CPU, at least
   print a message on the screen telling me the IP address and Ethernet
   address of where the duplicate copy is so I can rectify the situation.

To their credit:

1) They do tell you the serial number is contained in the BRIDGE.SYS
   driver. This allows me to stash all 60 copies of BRIDGE.SYS on the
   hard drive in my office and put away the master diskettes forever. I
   can then just update client PCs by running NCSA TELNET in server mode
   and FTP the correct BRIDGE.SYS to the PC.

What I'd rather see:

   Why not just charge out the teeth for the host versions and make them
   incremental on how many users they will support, and then allow
   unlimited copies of the client software?

Disclaimers: I am running PC-Interface version 2.8.7.1 which was purchased
	     thru Prime Computer. I believe PCI is current at rev 3.1 so
	     maybe things are different. Prime is always a year behind in
	     upgrading software revs it seems...

--

Ken Weaverling (insert any job title here, except for official spokesperson)
Delaware Technical & Community College --- weave at sun.udel.edu