Lotus 1-2-3 was compiled with GNU C compiler!?

Niklas Hallqvist niklas at appli.se
Mon Jul 16 02:01:15 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul13.134649.1794 at cti-software.nl> pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

> hogue at hsi.UUCP (Jim Hogue) writes:
>
> >Yea, I was just asked to port some stuff to the DG AViiON and guess
> >what, gcc is the C compiler that comes with DG's unix.  What ever happened
> >to all the copyleft concerns?  Does this mean the source to lotus 123
> >and all of unix (at least DG's version) is now in the public domain?
>
> I believe DG supplies GCC with a DG-written gnulib, that
> is not covered by the copyleft.

	What's the matter with you?  Even if DG supplies GCC with
another gnulib, the FSF version of gnulib is *not* restricted by
the GNU General Public License.  There has never been the case that
programs compiled with GCC falls under the copyleft just for that
reason.  Who have you been listening to?  If this was the case the
GNU project would be virtually useless!  Noone but academics would
be using FSF software.  FSF would die because they wouldn't get any
donations.  BTW. Do you think that because you archived a program
with the GNU tar, you also make your program PD?  It's just an
analogy, but a striking one.

				Niklas
---
Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-19 14 85
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-19 80 89
N. Gubberogatan 30	Email: niklas at appli.se
S-416 63  GOTEBORG	       sunic!chalmers!appli!niklas
Sweden