ISC 2.2 sendmail problem

Larry Jones scjones at thor.UUCP
Wed Jul 25 06:41:07 AEST 1990

I've just installed ISC 2.2 and so far I'm quite pleased (finally,
man pages!).  However, I am having a problem with sendmail that I
hope someone can help with.  Whenever I try to send mail to another
host via TCP/IP, I get an error that the host does not exist, but
telnet, rlogin, etc. all work fine.  We're still in the dark ages
here -- we don't use domains or have a name server running, we just
use host names.  From the sendmail debug output, it appears that
the problem is that sendmail calls res_search (which I presume is
a name server routine although it doesn't seem to be documented
anywhere) which fails with errno=0, h_errno=1.  My guess is that
this routine is looking for a name server, not finding one, and
failing rather than falling back and using the host table.

Has anyone else run into this and found a fix?  For the moment I've
just dropped back to the sendmail 5.58 that I was running on 2.0.2
(and have source for).  I've just gotten the source for 5.61, so I
can hack it if needed, but I'd rather not if there's some simple
fix.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones at thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"This probably just goes to show something, but I sure don't know what."
-Calvin