Xenix vs. UNIX

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Tue Jul 10 07:00:58 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun29..185 at rdk386.uucp> ron at rdk386.UUCP (Ron Kuris) writes:

>Why not just use gcc and not worry about the abnormalities of the "standard"
>compiler provided with Xenix?  I agree its broken, but the compiler doesn't
>make the entire system unusable, especially when there are alternatives...

	This response is just a tad facile for my taste. GCC doesn't always
	make life easier. I had my first encounter with GCC last week after
	a colleague installed it on his Sequent Balance. Well, here was an
	opportunity to see what all the fuss was about. Moved some of my
	source over, checked flags and file locations, typed "make".

	Given my System V biases, tried compiling in the ATT environment.
	Had to modify a few macro contructs to make them "ansi conformant",
	but things got REAL interesting in the link/load phase. It just
	couldn't find the c runtime module! Found the module in /.lib
	(that damn universe again!). OK, back to BSD. Argh! Can't find
	_regex, _strchr, ...

	Morale: GNU CC... It *might* work for you.