i386 unix with NFS - getcwd() & /bin/pwd inode problem

Doug McCallum dougm at ico.isc.com
Tue Jul 10 00:20:23 AEST 1990

In article <DENNY.90Jul8193643 at atlas.tss.com> denny at tss.com (Denny Page) writes:
>When you are in a directory which is mounted via nfs, and the inode of
>the current directory is > 65535 (such as on a sun), /bin/pwd reports
>"read error in .."  Getcwd() uses /bin/pwd to do its work, and as such
>doesn't function.  Is anyone aware of a fix or a work around for this?

This is a difficult problem to work around.  AT&T changed internal inode
numbers to long's but left the "stat" system call version of the inode
number a short.  Just changing it and rebuilding the world would solve
the problem but would then break every application that comes from
somewhere else.  Fixes have to be made such that they are compatible
with previous systems and systems from other vendors.  I expect that
some type of fix will be made in a future release of our (ISC) version
once we have one which will let the binary work on other systems that
don't have the fix.