X11 errors (frustrating!!)

Cassidy Lynar cassidy at mic.UUCP
Wed Jul 4 15:12:26 AEST 1990

	Has anybody run into a problem with X11 that you are unable
	to 'xinit' when a .xinitrc file is present? Here is what has
	happened...

	X11 was installed and has been running mostly problem free
	since probably around Sept of last year. I rebooted the system
	one day about two weeks ago, and when I tried to bring x11 up,
	I would get such errors as "Toolkit cannot open display", or
	"fatal error foo..." and drop back to my shell. A process stat
	showed all the binaries that get executed in my .xinitrc file
	running still, and manual killing is needed to removed them.
	Then, I discovered that I was getting this error on the console:
	KERNEL: allocq: out of queues

	I discovered that when I removed my .xinitrc file, I could bring
	X11 up, using the default settings. I also discovered that I could
	only execute maybe one or two other xwindow type binaries from that
	window, before it crashes the server and returns that KERNEL error.
	What is going on here? I have rebuilt the X server, I have also
	reloaded the streams and rebuilt my kernel. I had made no changes
	to anyting in the system, just rebooted it. It rebooted gracefully
	with no filesystems crashing, etc...
	My system configuration includes a 33 Mhz system board with 64k
	cache, 8 megs of RAM, and a 80387. Any help or suggestions would
	be greatly appreciated. Please email the replies to me, and I will
	post a summary later.

							-c lynar

--
Cassidy Lynar