Interactive 2.2 problems

Buster Irby rli at buster.irby.com
Wed Jul 4 14:13:05 AEST 1990

jimmy at denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) writes:

>After posting my recent impression of Interactive 2.2 being horribly
>slow, I  decided to do a simple unofficial comparison between 2.2 and
>2.0.2.

>I know this isn't scientific but it gives an idea.  I started 10 yes(1)
>programs in the background and immediately ran a 'ps -ef'.  The
>following is how long each machine took to finish giving the ps(1)
>reseults.

>6386E with 4 meg of RAM and 2.0.2:	6 seconds
>6386E with 16 meg of RAM and 2.2:      31 seconds

[ more description deleted ]

>Do I just have a bad copy, or is something wrong with the release?
>I'm hoping it's something simple like a tunable parameter is wrong,
>but...

I have seen similar performance problems related to the timestamps
found on several important files used by ps(1).  If any of the critical
files have a bad timestamp, ps will rebuild the file /etc/ps_data every
time you run it, causing the system to seem verrrrry slooooow indeed.
If the timestamp on any of the following files or directories is incorrect,
it can cause the type of behavior you have observed.

     /
     /dev
     /dev/console
     /dev/kmem