Ulimit revisited..... in ISC 1.0.6

Georg Nikodym gsn at sclcig.uucp
Mon Jul 30 12:56:36 AEST 1990

In article <742 at sci34hub.UUCP> gary at sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>[stuff deleted...]
>We have someone in another department trying to use large databases
>under 1.0.6 (I'm not sure which db program they're using). They are
>hitting the upper limit for normal users, which defaults to 8MB.
Yup.
>I need to increase this default, so they don't have to have an
>inexperienced user su'd in as root doing database. This is an
>obvious hazard :-).
Yup.
>I've searched all the /usr/include, /usr/include/sys, /etc/conf,
>and everything else I can think of to try and find where to increase
>this limit.

On some (older?) versions of UNIX there is an /etc/master file which
contains kernel config stuff, on others that info is contained somewhere
in the /etc/conf tree.  In my (limited?  attempt at modesty :-) experience
the parameter that you need to change is called MAXFSIZ, not ULIMIT.
If your version of UNIX has the /etc/default directory structure then you'll
also have to change the line "ULIMIT=some_value" line in /etc/default/login.

>Can anyone point me to the place to change this? I'll be glad to
>forward email to Connor for inclusion in the FAQ, to save others
>from scratching their heads.

Hope that info will set you straight (even if is somewhat general)...

| Georg S. Nikodym  -  (416) 442-2238                                       |
| Southam Business Information and Communications Group, Don Mills, Ontario |
| gsn at sclcig.UUCP -or- ...!uunet!moore!sclcig!gsn                           |
| "The floggings will continue until morale improves" -Jose Castel-Branco   |