Anyone running 4.3 BSD on a 386 yet?

Dr. Srodawa srodawa at vela.acs.oakland.edu
Sat Jul 7 14:40:14 AEST 1990

In article <856 at rossignol.Princeton.EDU> tr at samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
>Anyone running 4.3 BSD on a 386 yet?  Any impressions?  Who sells
>it?  How much is it?

We have it inhouse, have had it since just after the initial announcement.
We haven't put it up yet.  The biggest reason was we needed a hardware
upgrade and that was installed just a few weeks ago, as my summer offcampus
began.  A second reason is the initial release can't support software
development..the gcc compiler is used on a machine other than the /386.
The next release should contain the gcc compiler and support for more
ethernet adapters.  I plan on installing it as soon as it becomes
available.  Note..what I have said above is my own thoughts and words and
doesn't necessarily reflect Berkeley's thoughts.  It does accurately
reflect my impressions to date.  Personally, I hold high hopes for
i386BSD, especially in conjunction with the new 4.3BSD-reno code.
It could be the most affordable system around for engineering and
science schools.  (BSD4.3-reno contains, among many other things,
a public domain implementation of NFS and some ISO support.)

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa at unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa at egrunix.UUCP          |