Interactive 2.2 install query

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun Jul 8 09:16:14 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul07.152106.23429 at turnkey.tcc.com> jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

>>In some article I (Conor) wrote:
>>Our only complaint (other than the #! bug that I reported before) is that our
>>Archive 60MB tape no longer works (using either the new driver included
>>with 2.2 or with the old driver that worked under 2.0.2).  ISC is looking
>>into the problem.
>
>This is the main reason I did the followup on this. This is real strange
>Conor, when I saw this I realized that I had not even tried the tape since
>the upgrade and my heart skipped a beat :-} (I also have an Archive 60M, not
>the SCSI). So I shoved in one of my cpio backup tapes, did a listing and it
>worked just fine, hmmmmm?!? How does yours not work? I seem to remember that
>the /etc/conf/sdevice.d/ct file had been overwriten and the interrupt was
>set back to 3 so I edited it and changed it back to 5 where mine is set,
>did you check this?? Let me know how things turn out.

Before I go in to our symptoms I just want to say that Yes I checked and
verified that the tape drive is configured exactly as it was before (I made
a backup copy of / in a another file system which was available for
comparison).

Anyway, the symptoms are as follows:

	We can place a tape into the drive and run any of the ctape commands
	like retension or rewind without any problems (the tape does go
	through the indicated operation).

	When we attempt to write data to the drive, it goes through the
	first few moves of the tape, stops (tape light is still on), and
	the process is locked waiting for the operation to finish.

	The same thing happens on a read of a previously made tape.

	We have tried different tapes both reading and writing, different
	drivers (I still had the old driver lying around).  The hardware
	configuration did not change a bit from 2.0.2.

	It is possible that the tape drive decided to go bad at the moment
	that the system was upgraded, but I really doubt it.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170