Floppy formats under 386/ix

Gary Heston gary at sci34hub.UUCP
Fri Jul 6 23:19:04 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul5.095106.6089 at cti-software.nl> pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>brown at vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>720K 5.25" is the standard format on AT&T 3B2's.
>I can read these floppies on a Xenix system
>and would like to be able to read them on a UNIX/386 system too.

They're also used by the Altos 586/986 family, and I assume other Altos
machines.

If a SysV/386 machine has device entries for a 720K 3.5", it should
be possible to read or write 5.25" 720K discs by using either a
1.2M drive or a real 720K drive plugged into the slot (the hardware
can't tell what's out there, electronically the 3.5" and 5.25" drives
look the same). I'll have to try reading one of my 586 discs here at
work, and see how it does.

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)