Warm boot problem

neese at adaptex.UUCP neese at adaptex.UUCP
Sun Jul 1 06:34:00 AEST 1990

>/* ---------- "Warm boot problem" ---------- */
>I am having a warm boot prolbem with my ESIX 386 system.
>My configuration is the followings:
>
>	- Micronics 386-33 with 64KB 2-way associative cache
>	- 8MB memory
>	- AHA1542A SCIS host adapter
>	- Fujitsu M2249SA 330 MB drive
>	- Paradise Professional VGA
>
>The disk has DOS and ESIX partition.  When cache is enabled,
>I would be able to cold boot ESIX (after long shutdown).
>But the system will go into infinite loop whenever I try to warm boot
>either by CNTRL-ALT-DEL, depressing reset button or cycling the power.
>What I got in each loop are BIOS messages, memory check, AHA1542A
>messages and a beep.

Do you get the TARGET 0 LUN 0 NOT FOUND message from the BIOS?  If you do, then
this is indicative of a target taking a long time to recover from a SCSI
bus reset ad the adapter BIOS is timing out waiting for it to return from the
SCSI bus reset.
As far as the DNA rates go; it is extremely machine dependent.  Micronics
mother boards typically cannot run above 5.7MB/sec.  There are quite a
few CPU's that can run much faster (I have my 16Mhz CPU set at 6.7MB/sec
and my companion 25Mhz CPU set at 8MB/sec).

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  uunet!swbatl!texbell!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe,mlite}!adaptex!neese