Help needed with ISC 2.2 installation.

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Thu Jul 26 00:54:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul24.193422.29239 at ico.isc.com> dougp at ico.ISC.COM (Doug Pintar) writes:
>Eric doesn't say, but I'd be willing to bet that he has
>a VGA controller set up to run with a 16-bit BIOS.  Quite a few of these
>boards seem to drive the AT bus into 16-bit mode ALL the time, rather than
>just when their BIOS is being accessed.  This tends to screw up 8-bit DMA to
>the floppy, with every other byte being written as 0xFF...

It seems like there are also motherboards around that have a similar problem.
I have an AT motherboard (286) which is unable to copy data from 16-bit
bus memory to the floppy. The effect is also that every other byte is
being written as 0xFF. The problem does not occur when copying data from
memory on the motherboard (also 16-bit remember) to the floppy. So there
seems to be a problem with the bus switching between 16-bit and 8-bit mode.

Paul.