ISC nfs crashes sun 4.03?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Jul 25 04:15:43 AEST 1990

>When the sparc (sun os 4.03) mounts a partition from the 386 box, once
>in a while the console would complain "rfs: attempt to read from non-file".
>And about every few weeks my entire screen would all of a sudden be filled
>with messages like that, and the only way to stop it is to halt the
>sparc with L1-A.

OK, which console is "the console" - the one on the 386 box or the one
on the Sun?

The message is printed by the NFS server code (you don't get it from the
client code), and means that a client has obtained a file handle for
something other than a plain file and has told the NFS server to read
data from that file; the server disallows this.