ISC 2.2 Installation Troubles

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Tue Jul 3 14:49:25 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul1.125113.970 at pilikia.pegasus.com> art at pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) writes:
>In article <26825 at infotel.UUCP> paul at infotel.UUCP (paul) writes:
>>In article <1990Jun22.052443.184 at pilikia.pegasus.com>, art at pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) writes:
>>> Has anyone had any difficulties installing the new ISC 2.2 release ??

[ lengthy discussion on ISC 2.2 install disk hang problem,
  possible causes and various attempted resolutions deleted
  for the sake of brevity ..... ]

Today I spoke with an engineer with Transcomputer who has *solved*
the mysterious ISC 2.2 install disk hang problem.  Evidently the
new 2.2 release enables instruction pipelining in the 386 processor,
something which ISC neglected to tell us poor souls.  Check your
386 processor, just below the i386 logo should be the processor
version.  If the chip is the SX211 version, you're in trouble
because there is a bug in processor regarding instruction pipelining
(don't confuse SX211 with the 386SX chip!  we're talking about the
processor revision number here!).  The solution is to replace the
chip with the "SX219" version, the hang problem will vanish completely.
I indeed checked my processor and I have the faulty 386 chip.

	intel
	i386
	A80386DX-33  IV
	SX211			<== There it is!
	L9310437
	INTEL (m)(c) '85

I advise everyone to check their processor version before upgrading or
purchasing 2.2, this problem will most likely affect *any* machine with
the SX211 version chip.
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art