SCO Xenix 2.3.1 and Adaptec 1542B

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.COM
Mon Jul 2 21:25:24 AEST 1990

ross at contact.uucp (Ross Ridge) writes:

>We are having problems installing an Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller
>on '386 AT box running SCO Xenix 2.3.1.  We're trying to run it with a
>SCSI 700Mb 8000 series Maxtor HD, a SCSI tape drive, an MFM controler with
>a two hard drives attached (one not installed in Phoenix BIOS CMOS),
>and assorted other cards and periphs (VGA, 16 and 32 bit RAM, serial/paralel,
>mutli-port serial, no floppies).  The Adaptec tries to find target 0 or
>something and fails (we've tried it with both and either of the tape,
>and the 700M HD on the bus).  We got no documentation with the Adaptec,
>but we had a FAX of some sort of instalation card.  Our worse problem is
>however is that we've just found that SCO's SCSI driver is just a stub.
>Does SCO or Adaptec have a real SCSI driver?

First, if you want to boot off the Maxtor then you MUST tell the bios that
there are NO drives attached.  Second, the Maxtor must be set to LUN 0, and
the tape to LUN 1.  The maxtor is shipped with an ID of six, which has to be
changed to 0.  Find jumpers JP35, JP36, JP37, and remove all jumpers on
them.  Then make sure that the tape drive is jumpered to an ID of 1.  If
it is a Wangtek drive the select jumpers are on the end of the drive.
You shouldn't have any trouble after this.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.