Problems sending Mail - only appears with ELM 2.3 PL4

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Jul 14 13:17:35 AEST 1990

In article <269be838-6eacomp.unix.i386 at vpnet.chi.il.us> bseller at vpnet.chi.il.us (brad seller) writes:
>0 and status 65, but have had no luck.  I tested this problem by sending
>myself a message with mail, and it came through fine, and then sending the
>same message with ELM, and then the error.  I hope someone can explain what
>the signal and status codes mean, so perhaps I can understand why only ELM
>seems to break outgoing mail.  Thanks,

I don't know what the problem is, but an easy way to debug this stuff is to:

	1. unplug your modem.
	2. send a message with elm (make subject test1)
	3. send a message with mail or mailx (subgect=test2)
	4. cd /usr/spool/uucp/uunet and look though the data files to
	   see what the differences are (and what may be causing the
	   the problem).

I am currently running elm 2.3 pl0 without any problems.  (You might
want to check comp.whatever.elm for patch 5 that was just posted.  Maybe
it has a fix for the problem)
unplug your modem

                                                Sterling, VA 22170