Interactive 2.2 problems

Dave Bullis dbullis at cognos.UUCP
Fri Jul 6 23:57:52 AEST 1990

In article <384 at denwa.uucp> jimmy at denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) writes:
>I know this isn't scientific but it gives an idea.  I started 10 yes(1)
>programs in the background and immediately ran a 'ps -ef'.  The
>following is how long each machine took to finish giving the ps(1)
>reseults.
>
>6386E with 4 meg of RAM and 2.0.2:	6 seconds
>6386E with 16 meg of RAM and 2.2:      31 seconds
>
>At Interactive Hollis's suggestion, I tried boosting NPROC and NBUF
>with no noticable difference.

In a previous life I was working with Convergent Technologies
Mitiframes (68020, SysV.2).
Normally with ran with 5-7 Megabytes.  We boosted that to 15
one day and performance dropped thru the floor.
Turns out the buffer cache increased so the kernel was spending
all its time looking thru the cache!  We cut down NBUFS and all was fine.

Have you tried 2.2 on the the 4 meg machine?  You could also try
sar or kernel profiling.  Good luck.

Dave
--
Dave Bullis        Cognos, Inc       VOICE: (613) 738-1440
3755 Riverside Dr. P.O. Box 9707       FAX: (613) 738-0002