SLIP for ix386 (Summary)

Michael Richardson michael at fts1.uucp
Thu Jul 12 05:41:54 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul03.114134.18096 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <freiss.646912868 at peun33> freiss at nixpbe.UUCP (the hacker) writes:
>>     3) There seems to be a (PD?) SLIP package around for 2.0.2. I've
>>	got an email address for the guy who wrote that from Roger Egeberg
>>	and sent mail to there, but so far, no answer. I'll post if
>>	something comes of it.
>
>Now that you reminded me, I have attached a copy of a posting made last year
>that includes SLIP support for 386/ix.  I HAVE NOT INSTALLED, TESTED OR even
>read the code, so good luck.

  I did try installing it last summer/fall under 2.0.1 (I don't
think we were running 2.0.2, or if it even existed at that point.)

  We didn't have two Unix boxes there at the time we tested it,
so I took a chance and dug up 'AmigaTCP' [a KA9Q port] and tried to get
things going. [This was across two T2500s]
  It took a bit of effort to get the Amiga side up, and I can't say
what exactly happened on fts1, but apparently the kernel took a panic
and trashed the root partition. Joy...

  I later heard a rumour that AmigaTCP had a habit of causing
kernel panics on the remote machine, but I suspect that it was
my own story coming back to me :-)

  We haven't tried since, but do intend to.

--
   :!mcr!:            | < political commentary currently undergoing Senate >
   Michael Richardson | < committee review. Returning next house session.  >