Screen blanking for SCO SYS V

R. Smith smith at rockville.dg.com
Thu Jul 19 04:00:05 AEST 1990

Many apologies if this has been covered before; I just started reading
this group (and will soon be disconnected from it..see below).

Recently we installed a full SCO development system on our home-office
computer (GATEWAY 2000 25MHz with ATI VGAWonder). My tendency is to keep
all equipment turned on 24 hours per day (this machine has been on since
Nov '89, for example, and two Amigas (and their monitors) have been on since
about 1986). This generates a need for some method to blank the display
during extended periods of inactivity. Under DOS I had a nice PD QIX-like
line-bouncer that did the job quite well; same for the Amigas (Thanks, Matt).

Suns, ISIs, SGIs, and others have nifty screenblankers, too.

Does a screen blanking program exist for SCO's multiscreens? This blanker
must blank the screen (or place a randomly moving entity thereon) after
a period of inactivity. It must do this to the visible multiscreen. It must
do this when NO ONE is logged in (i.e., a daemon process -- any other way
requiring a constant logged-in state is fairly simple to implement but is
NOT what I'm looking for).

It'd be nice if it paid attention a mouse, too (screen "comes alive" on key
board input OR mouse motion).

If such a beast exists for this particular verion of SYS V, I'd love to hear
about it.

Russ Smith

NOTE --  I'm about to lose the account from which this note was written, so
any responses should PLEASE be sent to "smith at aic.nrl.navy.mil" or
"...uunet!aic.nrl.navy.mil!smith". Thanks.