Interactive 2.2 install query

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Sun Jul 8 01:21:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul07.125218.24439 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <6417 at gaboon.UUCP> asv at gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) writes:
>>     Has anyone done the upgrade rather than the destructive reinstall on a
>>     big ESDI disk?  Any problems with mail and news not working?
>
>I did the upgrade on a 680MB ESDI drive and had just a couple of problems (
>like some of my crontab entries got blown away, my gettydefs file got blown
>away,etc).  If you have room, make sure you have an on-line backup copy
>of your root FS so that you have immediate access to whatever gets blown
>away.

I have a WD1006 based system rather than ESDI, and also did the upgrade
rather than reinstall. I also had no other problems than what Conor mentioned.
Just remember to make backup copies of your crontab files, /etc/inittab, and
so forth. I don't know whether you want to keep the old gettydef since it
looked like they had changed it for enhanced functionality but you will
probably want to keep an old copy for reference. Oh, I also did not install
the BNU upgrade, but if you do I would keep a backup of Permissions, Systems,
Devices, Dialers.

>We installed 2.2 and had no problems with most of the stuff that had already
>been configured on the system (mail, news, uucp, even the pre-existing kernel
>config stuff).

ditto, had the upgrade done in a couple of hours, brought the system back up,
and uucp and news restarted as though nothing had happened. The only thing
that ISC should fix is the crontab overwrite. Great job guys!!

>Our only complaint (other than the #! bug that I reported before) is that our
>Archive 60MB tape no longer works (using either the new driver included
>with 2.2 or with the old driver that worked under 2.0.2).  ISC is looking
>into the problem.

This is the main reason I did the followup on this. This is real strange
Conor, when I saw this I realized that I had not even tried the tape since
the upgrade and my heart skipped a beat :-} (I also have an Archive 60M, not
the SCSI). So I shoved in one of my cpio backup tapes, did a listing and it
worked just fine, hmmmmm?!? How does yours not work? I seem to remember that
the /etc/conf/sdevice.d/ct file had been overwriten and the interrupt was
set back to 3 so I edited it and changed it back to 5 where mine is set,
did you check this?? Let me know how things turn out.

Disclaimer: As always, these are my views, not my employer.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM