80386DX-33 SX211

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Fri Jul 13 07:52:29 AEST 1990

My 80386DX-33 SX219 replacement chip for the SX211 version I posted
recently about (Re: pipelining problem) arrived yesterday afternoon.
After backing up to tape, wrestling the motherboard from the case,
swapping out the 386 chip, and putting everything back together, I
fired the system up with the 2.2 disk and inserted the install disk
when prompted.  Lo and Behold!  ISC's new fancy-dan install menu
featuring extended ASCII graphics, color and lotus style menu selection
burst upon my screen.  Swapping out the chip sure fixed my problem,
the engineer at Transcomputer was right on the money.  I went thru
the installation and loaded in the 6 core base disks, then tried to
install the kernel config package.  What a letdown, the kernel config
disk 1 wasn't readable by the installpkg sysadm option, it said something
about an "improperly built" disk.  I mounted the sucker on /install
and browsed around the disk, whadda you know it is really core base disk 6
in drag.  Well, that took the wind right out of my sales, because without
kconfig I couldn't relink the kernel with the Wangtek tape driver so I
could restore from tape et al.  Unfortunately I had to backout the install
by reloading 2.0.2 and all my junk, as I can't live with a non-functional
system.  I reported the problem to ISC and they said they'd FedEx a replace-
ment disk out right away.  To their credit, they have been *very* prompt
with me in regards to shipping product and I sure don't think they could
have fixed my chip-related problem.  I like the new install scripts, the
defect list update and file system partitioning screens are especially
nice, now I don't have to munge around with /etc/partitions to get > 3
filesystems.  I'm sure I'll like the new system once I get it installed
and really look it over.
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art