g++/groff for i386? (emacs, and other things too)

Danny Quah dquah at athena.mit.edu
Tue Jul 10 22:25:45 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul10.063631.5827 at pegasus.com> news at pegasus.com (Usenet News) writes:

>>Since V/386 is so prevalent on the net now, I'm wondering if
>>

>I haven't heard of any UUCP sites, but I've seen g++ available for anon
>FTP from tek4310.kent.edu and from titan.rice.edu, but neither one
>seemed to work with ISC 2.0.2.
>
>Time to pound on the sources again...

[So we're building a little lobby here I see.]

        Ok. Ross Biro @ stanford (who, I think, built the emacs and
epochs on kent) tells me that the emacs and epoch on kent has
specialized ESIX network and X support compiled in so that almost
surely they won't work on anything but.  That explains the "Fatal error
12" problem that we are seeing with the emacs from kent.  I tried to
compile the source Ross directed me to, but ran into the same "tchars"
problem that Paul has reported.

        I haven't even be able to get the gcc from there to work on my
machine, it doesn't seem to have built in "/usr/local/gnu/lib/gnu-"
and worse I haven't been able to get it to take the -B flag.  (The -v
flag shows failure on this.)  And where are gcc-ld and gcc-as (and why
is it "gas" instead:-))?

        I agree with Rick (and the dude from Finland, I've lost your
name sorry)---there are so many of us with SysV'386/ Interactive '386
out here, wouldn't it be great if someone who has already made some of
these things allow anon FTP or UUCP access.  Why keep regrinding the
wheel (or "pound on the sources"?)  Someone want to upload to kent or
somewhere else?

	If it's just to be macha, I don't mind building the stuff
myself (having done so on SUNs and 3b2's).  Just that when the
distribution is 20 Megabytes uncompressed and hundreds of us are
downloading the stuff and running into the same problems....  On the
SUNs and 3b2's, I could at least tell myself that I was spending the
time for a group of users.  On my Toshiba, it's just little ol' me.
This just doesn't seem to be enabling us as a community.

--Danny (dquah at athena.mit.edu, dquah at dolphin.mit.edu)
Dept. of Economics MIT, E52-274b, Cambridge MA 02139
Voice: (617) 253-0914 Fax: (617) 253-1330
#