Xenix vs. UNIX

Michael Galassi nerd at percy.uucp
Tue Jul 17 12:10:16 AEST 1990

In article <1258 at cdin-1.UUCP> fred at cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) writes:
>rogerk at sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) writes:

>>We still make bug fixes for Xenix. If enough
>>customers ask for it, we may even add a feature or two.

>>This is driven _totally_ by demand from the marketplace.

>OK, then why don't we start by giving us support for a monochrome VGA monitor?
>These are less expensive than color but the resolution is much better then
>ordinary mono screens.

On one machine I have instaled an NEG multisync GS, almost as cheap ($200/ea
in bulk) and similar in quality to a monochrome CRT, responsive as SCO is
this is probably A LOT faster (CGI works with it).  Of course if they
do add support for VGA-mono in CGI I would LOVE to see EGA-mono added
at the same time (hint?).

>It would certainly help to keep Xenix alive a little longer. You see we get
>this weird impression that you WANT us to move to Unix. Only SCO can change
>that.

I called in to ask about SCO's developer program, the person I talked to
gave me the impresion that the most valuable thing I would get by paying
whatever it was to get into the program would be a cheaper upgrade from
Xenix 2.3.x to Unix 3.2.x.  Based on that and the derived feeling that
SVR3 will go the same way when SCO figures out if they will go SVR4 or
OSF/1 we are holding off on any development work and are considering the
alternatives (Intel SVR4, and Interactive both seem more stable).

-michael
--
      Michael Galassi    | If my opinions happen to be the same as
...!tektronix!percy!nerd | my employer's it is ONLY a coincidence,