Graphic characters in Norton Utilities SYS-V

John Wilber wilber at nunki.usc.edu
Tue Jul 31 18:36:23 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul30.181330.3855 at pegasus.com> richard at pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>I certainly hope other developers don't follow suite.  This sort of
>gratuitous, DOS-style, system dependency is what the "open-systems"
>movement has been seeking to avoid.  What Unix seeks to avoid.

Perhaps you are under a misconception.  Norton Utilities for System V
doesn't JUST use direct I/O, it speaks curses/terminfo too.  We just do the
best with the equipment available.  If you are on a terminal things work
just fine, if you are on the console, things work even finer.  It's
plenty open as far as I am concerned.