SLIP for ix386 (Summary)

Jay Rohr jay at iti.uucp
Thu Jul 5 23:53:30 AEST 1990

In article <freiss.646912868 at peun33> freiss at nixpbe.UUCP (the hacker) writes:

>Hi,
>
>thanks to
>cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill), dptechno!dave (Dave Lee),
>esegue.segue.boston.ma.us!johnl (John R. Levine),
>Doug McCallum <uunet!ico.isc.com!dougm>, icom.icom.com!andy,
>unido!relay.EU.net!nstar!rgbanch!tim (Tim Brown),
>Roger Egeberg <unido!relay.EU.net!plains!egeberg>
>
>for responding to my posting. Quite a lot of people wanted to know about
>SLIP in ix386 2.0.2 too, so here goes:
>
>The summary:
>
>SLIP is included in the 1.2 release of TCP/IP.  The version that went
>out with 2.0.2 is 1.1.2 which doesn't include it.
>
>Suggested fixes:
>     1) Get ix386 2.2
>     2) Get the TCP/IP package release 1.2 and try it out under 2.0.2

We have tried a beta TCP/IP 1.2 under 386/ix 2.0.2 and it did not work
completely!! Interactive connections seen to be OK and 'rcp' works, but FTP
does not.  FTP file transfers complete with out an error message, but the file
is short.  Seems that on a slow link (i.e. SLIP) the close connection
indication reaches the receiver before the last data packets.  We have not tried
the new ix386 2.2 package yet to see if the problem still exists.