Graphic characters in Norton Utilities SYS-V

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Sat Jul 28 07:10:10 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul27.165315.13531 at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
> When we're repainting large amounts of the screen, as when scrolling
> something, direct writes are a whole lot faster.

Yes, and direct writes to the disk are a lot faster too, but people tend
to prefer going through the file system. Funny thing, that.

> If you hold down an
> arrow key to make it scrolll, terminfo/curses has trouble keeping up
> but direct writes have no problem.

So detect that and jump-scroll. That way people on terminals (or using X,
or using a console you don't know about, or whatever) will benefit as well.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`