sco/isc unix and speech

Philip Hall phil at dprmpt.UUCP
Sun Jul 15 16:35:24 AEST 1990

This may be rather an odd question for this news group, but
here it goes. At least i doubt if this one has been
asked in this group before...

I have just purchased Sco unix, and i wish to install it on an
HP Vectra RS20C, with a VGA video card.
The problem is, I am visually impaired, and use a little box
that "READS" the screen to me by monitoring the address lines for the vga
card, and maps the first 24 lines of display memory into its own memory
so i can review it. the speech device can not handle bit mapped or
graphics. therefore it can't handle X windows or (if under dos, it can't
handle ms windows).
The problem is, when i started the install procedure, the operating system
seems to use more than the first 24 lines of display memory.
Does anyone know of a way around this problem?
I have thought of removing the video card, and connecting a remote terminal
as a remote console. However, the HP Vectra gets upset if it can't find
a display adapter. Also, this wouldn't give me any info if there was any
kind of hardware problem during selftest, before booting.
I currently am using isc v2.0.1, but because of several
problems with it, i decided to go to SCO.
the isc package and my vectra had some sort of problems, where the system
would usually panic the first time i tried to boot.
also, i am switching because of the support problems that the local dealer
has.

Any Help is greatly appriciated.
DISCLAIMER: The above in no way reflects my employer's views, opinions etc.
i merely use his news feed.

Philip Hall
Sys admin
Data Prompt Inc.