System V and Xenix compatibility

brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 11 00:47:00 AEST 1990

/* Written  1:38 pm  Jul  5, 1990 by peterf at haddock.ima.isc.com in uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */
/* ---------- "System V and Xenix compatibility" ---------- */
	>Lotus 1-2-3 (you may have heard of it), to System V and Xenix.
	>We developed on 386/ix and used gcc and gmake.  The executable
/* End of text from uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole point of the gcc compiler
was that if you use it, the code you write is also covered by their licensing
agreement which, from a recent thread in this newsgroup, says the resultant
binaries must also be given away free??  I am currently writing a software
package under SYSV 386, and it was because of this thread that I went back
to "cc" so I didn't have to worry about this. Is this true or not; could
someone from FSF clarify this for me??

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    macbrando                    |