troff & nroff

Chris Lewis clewis at eci386.uucp
Fri Jul 27 07:37:09 AEST 1990

In article <1407 at chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
| A couple of weeks back I promised the comp.unix.xenix readers a summary
| of my evaluations of DWB for a LaserJet under SCO XENIX 386.  Rick's
| summary lays out most of the sensible alternatives.  I'll add a few
| nonsensible ones for the very cost conscious folks :-)  My testing was
| performed on a system running SCO XENIX 3.2.1.

|     The second tool is "psroff" by Chris Lewis.  I have not used this
|     program myself.  However, from the description it sounds like it has
|     a lot better font handling capabilities, and if you are faced with
|     making the otroff work, you might want to investigate this route.

| Those are the crummy approaches.

Hey, I like that.  Hasn't even used it and he calls it "crummy" and
"nonsensible".  Thanks a lot!  It's enough to give you a complex!

Sheesh.  ;-)

I think psroff's pretty good.  If you don't believe me, because after
all I did write the damn thing, how about an unsolicited accolade from
a satisfied user?

> Rating?  Outstanding.  If you haven't plunked down your money for the
> commercial software, and if you can get by without grap and pic, go
> for it!

And I didn't pay him *anything* to say that!

Seriously.  When psroff 2.0 comes out, try it, you might like it....
(Shipping tomorrow, I hope, to comp.sources.unix)

And it works with Postscript, ditroff drivers (ie: jetroff!) and
X-windows too.  Stick *that* in your pipe and smoke it! ;-)

Grap and pic are coming too someday....

[It's okay Chip, I know what you meant.  I won't send you a bomb this
time ;-)]
--
Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc, {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis