Interactive and me - An open letter to ISC.

Kevin Langston langston at frontier.UUCP
Wed Jul 18 04:03:20 AEST 1990

In article <835 at mwtech.UUCP> martin at mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:
>If *I* load the floppys on a second system, *I* have the key. Same if I
>hand the disks to someone else. Is the "serialization" meant to protect
>against the rare case that somebody steals the floppys? But what if I keep
>the sheet with the key close to the floppys? (And: Is it explicitly
>forbidden to make a note of the key on the label of the floppys, to
>protect myself against the - much more probable - case I loose that
>sheet?)

  An Addison, Texas company that I do some HW and SW support for
  has about a dozen legitimate copies of SCO Xenix 2.1 through 2.3.
  The documentation is spread from one end of the building to the
  other. All of the original disks are stored in two adjacent
  offices, and appear to have complete sets of all the optional
  packages, DS w/CGI, Lyrix, VP/ix etc. Apparently there have been
  a number of people who have done SW installs and upgrades over the
  last few years. As a result the little pink or white activation key
  slips are almost nonexistant. I think I have enough for two complete
  systems. I wish SCO, etc would print the activation key/serialization
  info on the disk jackets themselves. That would at least make it less
  likely for honest customers to shoot themselves in the foot.

  Disclaimer: I'm a customer, too!
--
Kevin Langston  @ Frontier Information Systems
(where in the world is) Lewisville, Texas